Just a plug for a friend of the blog and a colleague, Darren Green, and the City of Alexandria’s well-done website on urban forestry, www.alexurbanforestry.com. The site offers information on the maintenance of public and private trees, the urban forest management plan, local urban forestry ordinances, and a list of recommended trees. The department describes itself as follows:
What is Urban Forestry?
…involves the planting and care of trees and shrubs in an urban setting. This includes trees and shrubs in:
- people’s yards
- public parks
- school campuses
- undeveloped natural areas
- commercial developments
- along streets, alleys, and drainage ways
To exist as a nation, to prosper as a state, and to live as a people, we must have trees”
– Thomas Jefferson
The Urban Forestry Department exists to provide a community forestry program that enhances the quality of life for all citizens by promoting proper planting and maintenance of trees and other vegetation on both public and private property.
What We Do:
- Develop and implement an overall urban forest management program for the City of Alexandria.
- Oversee and conduct tree trimming and removal as required on trees located in city street and alley right-of-ways, utility easements, city parks and other publicly owned property.
- Coordinate response to tree emergency activities resulting from broken limbs or fallen trees.
- Educate the citizens of Alexandria on proper tree maintenance and tree planting procedures.
- Conduct plan review of commercial development projects to ensure that proper tree protection and planting activities are being implemented in accordance with applicable city ordinances
I have been out of town for a week and just noticed your post. Thanks for the promo. We get a lot of hits on that site considering that there are no rumors or pictures of naked women posted there. Most of the folks that have needed it find it to be very usefull.
have work with the forestry for 29 year as a worker and a contractor.
very nice web site. My English is not so good, so I do not understandt it well, but it seems very good. Thanks